Where’s my Refund and other tools are available at IRS.gov

Because of the sweeping changes contained in the Tax Reform and Jobs Act of 2017, the Internal Revenue Service has experienced a surge in phone calls in search of help.

Before you call, the IRS has several tips and various time-saving resources to get you the help you need quickly and easily. Most tax issues can be resolved from the convenience of home. Here are a few tips to avoid getting stuck on hold:

Before you call, check IRS.gov

The IRS offers a variety of online tools to help taxpayers answer common tax questions. For example, taxpayers can search the Interactive Tax Assistant, Tax Topics, Frequently Asked Questions, Tax Trails and the IRS Tax Map to get faster answers.

While you are there, check out Tax Reform Basics for Individuals and Families (Publication 5307), for more information about the Tax Reform and Jobs Act of 2017.

You can also review the new Form 1040, which takes the place of both the Form 1040-A and Form 1040-EZ.

Use IRS.gov to track refunds

If you are lucky enough to get a refund, you can track it anytime by using the “Where’s My Refund?” tool on IRS.gov and the IRS2Go app. Taxpayers can also call the IRS refund hotline at 800-829-1954.

Within 24 hours of filing your tax return electronically, the tool can tell you that your returns have been received. That time extends to four weeks if a paper return is mailed to the IRS, which is another reason to use IRS e-file and direct deposit.

Once the tax return is processed, “Where’s My Refund?” will tell you when your refund is approved and provide a date when you can expect to receive it.

“Where’s My Refund?” is updated no more than once every 24 hours, usually overnight, so there’s no need to check the status more often.

This tool can also track refunds containing the Earned Income Tax Credit and/or the Additional Child Tax Credit.

Digital Payment Options

If you have to pay, use digital payment options if you owe additional tax. Some taxpayers may receive a smaller refund or even owe an unexpected tax bill when they file their 2018 tax return particularly if they didn’t do a Paycheck Check Up in 2018.

If you have other questions, contact Dempsey Vantrease and Follis at (615) 893-6666 in Murfreesboro or (615) 444-4125 in Lebanon.