I’ve gotten a refund in the past, should I change my withholding?

One reason you may want to change or reduce your withholding is that the IRS is expecting a delay in issuing refunds in 2017.  This delay is due to the IRS’ efforts to strengthen security to help prevent identity theft.  Also the IRS will be holding refunds for some early filers in 2017 claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit or the Additional Child Tax Credit.  Due to these delays you may want to get more of your money back in each paycheck rather than waiting for a refund.  To change your withholding, you’ll need to change the W-4 that your employer has on file for you.  If you want to reduce your withholding, you can increase the number of allowances on your W-4.  In order to do so you should contact the HR department of your company.