Murfreesboro Tax Company | Murfreesboro Bookkeeping | Murfreesboro CPA

Murfreesboro 615-893-6666 // Lebanon 615-444-4125

Criteria for claiming a child on taxes

on Mar 15, 2017 in Articles, Ask Us

claiming a child on taxes

I provide support to my adult child. What is the criteria for claiming a child on taxes?


amended return

Mike Hallum, CPA

Many people ask the question regarding claiming a child on a tax return. If you provide support to your child then the short answer is “Yes” you can claim a child on your tax return but there are certain criteria and requirements that follow.

At DVF, we’ve compiled a few starting points.




  • Be unmarried and a U.S. citizen, resident alien or national or a resident of Canada or Mexico. They must be the taxpayer’s child or stepchild.
  • Be (a) younger than the taxpayer and either under age 19 or a full-time student under age 24 or (b) any age if totally and permanently disabled.
  • Live with the taxpayer more than half the year.
  • Not provide more than half of his or her own support.
  • Not file a joint return.
  • Not be a qualifying child of another taxpayer.
  • Generally, a child can qualify as a dependent relative if their gross income is less than $4,050 and the taxpayer provides over half of their support.

If you have questions regarding claiming a child on taxes, feel free to contact DVF and one of our tax professionals will be glad to speak with you about your current situation. For other tax related issues and forms, visit

About Lisa Bordenet

Lisa is an Administrative Assistant.